The ACM SIGPLAN
International Conference on Functional Programming
ICFP Organizational Structure
ICFP is run in accordance with the ACM SIGPLAN conference guidelines.
The organizational structure of ICFP consists of a Steering Committee, and, for each conference, a General Chair and a Program Chair. Additional appointed chairs support the General Chair in organizing the conference.
The purpose of the ICFP Steering Committee is to provide continuity between one conference and the next. The Steering Committee follows the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for Conference Steering Committees.
The main tasks of the Steering Committee are:
- To cherish the conference and take whatever actions are necessary to nurture its long-term health and vigour.
- To act as ICFP's voice with the sponsoring organisation (ACM SIGPLAN).
- To consult with the SIGPLAN Chair on matters of policy and planning.
- To appoint a General Chair for the conference each year in consultation with the SIGPLAN chair.
- To approve the choice of Program Chair for the conference each year.
- To offer advice to the General Chair and Program Chair.
The Steering Committee consists of a total of 15 members, determined by the following rules:
- The current SIGPLAN Chair and SIGPLAN Vice-Chair will be ex officio members of the Steering Committee.
- Eight members of the Steering Committee will be the General and Program Chairs from future and recent conferences. When a person accepts the position of chair for ICFP(n), s/he becomes a member of the Steering Committee until the ICFP(n+2) meeting.
- Four members of the Steering Committee will be members at large, serving four year terms. Each year, one member at large will be replaced with a new member, selected at the Steering Committee.
- The Publicity Chair, serving a three year term, will be a member of the Steering Committee.
The General Chair from ICFP(n) will be the Steering Committee Chair at the ICFP(n+2) meeting.
- Manuel Chakravarty (University of New South Wales) – ICFP'14 Program Chair
- Kathleen Fisher (Tufts University) – ICFP'15 General Chair
- Michael W. Hicks (University of Maryland) – SIGPLAN Chair
- John Hughes (Chalmers University) – Member at large
- Johan Jeuring (Universiteit Utrecht) – ICFP'14 General Chair
- Gabriele Keller (University of New South Wales) – ICFP'16 General Chair
- Yaron Minsky (Jane St Capital) – Member at large
- Greg Morrisett (Harvard University) – ICFP'13 General Chair
- John Reppy (University of Chicago) – ICFP'15 Program Chair
- Michael Sperber (Active Group) – Member at large
- Eijiro Sumii (Tohoku University) – ICFP'16 Program Chair
- Wouter Swierstra (Utrecht University) – Member at large
- Peter Thiemann (Universitat Freiburg) – SIGPLAN Vice-Chair
- Tarmo Uustalu (Institute of Cybernetics) – ICFP'13 Program Chair
- David Van Horn (University of Maryland) – Publicity Chair
The General Chair is appointed by the Steering Committee. S/he has full responsibility for running the conference in consultation with the SIGPLAN Chair. The General Chair should follow the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for the General Chair.
The General Chair appoints the Program Chair, in consultation with the SIGPLAN Chair. The Steering Committee must approve his or her choice. The Program Chair should follow the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for the Program Chair.
The Program Chair appoints the Program Committee. Its membership must be approved by the General Chair and the SIGPLAN Chair. The Steering Committee must be given an opportunity to offer suggestions, and comments on a proposed Program Committee, but the decision is taken by the General Chair and Program Chair, not the Steering Committee. The Program Committee should follow the ACM SIGPLAN policies regarding reviews and any special policies established by the General and Program Chairs.