The ACM SIGPLAN
International Conference on Functional Programming
ICFP Organizational Structure
The organizational structure of ICFP consists of a Steering Committee, and, for each conference, a General Chair and a Program Chair. Additional appointed chairs support the General Chair in organizing the conference.
The purpose of the ICFP Steering Committee is to provide continuity between one conference and the next. The Steering Committee follows the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for Conference Steering Committees.
The main tasks of the Steering Committee are:
- To cherish the conference and take whatever actions are necessary to nurture its long-term health and vigour.
- To act as ICFP's voice with the sponsoring organisation (ACM SIGPLAN).
- To consult with the SIGPLAN Chair on matters of policy and planning.
- To appoint a General Chair for the conference each year in consultation with the SIGPLAN chair.
- To approve the choice of Program Chair for the conference each year.
- To offer advice to the General Chair and Program Chair.
Membership of the Steering Committee is determined by the following rules:
- The current SIGPLAN Chair and SIGPLAN Vice-Chair will be ex officio members of the Steering Committee.
- The General and Program Chairs from future and recent conferences will be members of the Steering Committee. When a person accepts the position of chair for ICFP(n), they become a member of the Steering Committee until the ICFP(n+2) meeting.
- Four members of the Steering Committee will be members at large, serving four-year terms. Each year, one member at large will be replaced with a new member, selected at the Steering Committee.
- The Publicity Chair, serving a three-year term, will be a member of the Steering Committee.
- The Industrial Relations Chair will be a member of the Steering Committee.
The General Chair from ICFP(n) will be the Steering Committee Chair at the ICFP(n+2) meeting.
- Sukyoung Ryu (KAIST) – Steering Committee Chair
- Ronald Garcia (University of British Columbia) – ICFP'21 Program Chair
- Andrej Bauer (University of Ljubljana) – ICFP'22 General Chair
- Zena Ariola (University of Oregon) – ICFP'22 Program Chair
- Nikhil Swamy (Microsoft Research) – ICFP'23 General Chair
- Sam Lindley (University of Edinburgh) – ICFP'23 Program Chair
- Marco Gaboardi (Boston University) – ICFP'24 General Chair
- Atze Dijkstra (Standard Chartered Bank) – Industrial Relations Co-Chair
- Simon Marlow – Industrial Relations Co-Chair
- Ilya Sergey (National University of Singapore) – Publicity Chair (serving 9/2021-9/2024)
- Shin-Cheng Mu (Academica Sinica) – Member at Large (serving 9/2019-9/2023)
- Youyou Cong (Tokyo Institute of Technology) – Member at Large (serving 9/2022-9/2026)
- Richard A. Eisenberg (Jane Street) – Member at Large (serving 9/2022-9/2026)
- Jeremy Gibbons (University of Oxford) – Member at Large and PACMPL Advisory Board Representative (serving 9/2020-9/2024)
- Jeff Foster (Tufts University) – SIGPLAN Chair
- Anders Møller (Aarhus University) – SIGPLAN Vice-Chair
The General Chair is appointed by the Steering Committee. They have full responsibility for running the conference in consultation with the SIGPLAN Chair. The General Chair should follow the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for the General Chair.
The General Chair appoints the Program Chair, in consultation with the SIGPLAN Chair. The Steering Committee must approve the General Chair's choice. The Program Chair should follow the ACM SIGPLAN Guidelines for the Program Chair.
The Program Chair appoints the Program Committee. Its membership must be approved by the General Chair and the SIGPLAN Chair. The Steering Committee must be given an opportunity to offer suggestions, and comments on a proposed Program Committee, but the decision is taken by the General Chair and Program Chair, not the Steering Committee. The Program Committee should follow the ACM SIGPLAN policies regarding reviews and any special policies established by the General and Program Chairs.